- They are all addictive habits, all of them can be linked to each other or can be used as a gateway addiction to each other.
- They can all cause serious sometimes fatal physical, mental, and emotional damage to an individual and excessive use should be avoided at all costs in your life especially if you desire to live a long, healthy, enjoyable, life.
- They are all very expensive to maintain financially. The cost per year on average for a pack a day smoker @17.00 per pack (in BC, Canada) can be as much as $6,120.00 and the cost of drinking a bottle of wine per day (7.7 glasses) at the same price of $15.00 per bottle that’s another $5,340.00 per year and if you add onto this a modest cocaine habit of 35grams per year @$80.00 per gram that’s an additional $2,800.00 for a total price of $13,480.00 spent in a year on all of these addictive habits.
- A person who gives up cigarettes for vaping will be spending on average about $630.00 per year which you might justify this switch because of the cost savings but, it can cause just as many if not more damage to your health. Unfortunately, when it comes to drug and alcohol addictions the financial costs can be in tens of thousands more than mentioned as the tendency to increase your drug/alcohol dependency amount often happens thereby dramatically increasing a chance of dying from an overdose.
The health risks can be quite disastrous for persons who are Smoking, Vaping, Excessive Drinking and Drugging. As you can see below the lists of health risks are quite numerous and deadly.
- Lung Cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Heart Disease
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Oropharyngeal Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome from mothers who smoke during pregnancy
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine, an addictive substance that can negatively impact adolescent brain development. One Juul pod contains as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes.
- Side effects include increased heart rate and blood pressure, lung disease, chronic bronchitis and insulin resistance leading to type 2 diabetes.
- Some e-cigarettes that claim to be nicotine-free do contain the harmful substance.
- Studies have found toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde and an antifreeze ingredient in e-cigarettes.
- Almost 60 percent of people who use e-cigarettes also currently smoke conventional cigarettes, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The vapor exhaled by e-cigarette users contains carcinogens and is a risk to nearby nonusers, just like secondhand tobacco smoke.
- Liver disease
- Cancers of the mouth, esophagus, larynx, stomach, liver, colon, rectum, and breast.
- Ulcers and gastrointestinal problems
- Immune system dysfunction-There will be a higher risk of pneumonia, tuberculosis (TB), HIV infection, and other conditions.
- Brain damage-Alcohol is associated with blurred vision, memory lapses, slurred speech, difficulty walking and slowed reaction time. These are all due to its effects on the brain.
- Long-term heavy drinking can speed up the brain’s normal aging process, resulting in early and permanent dementia.
- Malnourishment and vitamin deficiencies
- Heart disease and cardiovascular health-Stroke is a potentially deadly complication of binge drinking.
- Accidents and injuries-linked to car crashes, domestic violence, falls, drowning, occupational injuries, suicide, and homicide.
- Brain Damage- Eventually, parts of the brain change shape or size, which leads to mental health issues, personality changes, and physical problems
- Cardiovascular Problems
- Gastrointestinal Issues
- Respiratory Problems
- Liver Damage
- Kidney Damage
- Infections and Immune System Damage
These are all the many health risks and yet many people will continue to use these habits, why? The above lists shown are of all the many physical health risks from smoking, vaping, drinking and drugging; but what about the other negative emotional reactions from adopting these habits into your life?
- Your skin to wrinkle faster even in areas that are not in the sun much, so you feel unattractive
- A rapidly aging appearance causing a feeling of ill health
- Feelings of being ashamed and humiliated by others socially, becoming socially unacceptable
- Feelings of guilt because of causing secondhand smoke to your children, pets, spouse, co-workers
- Worry and feeling of low self-esteem and low confidence because of feeling that you don’t smell good, look good or feel good in public
- Feeling embarrassed because your clothes smell, teeth are yellowed, fingers yellowed, skin and hair brittle, yellowed and dull
- Unable to eat anything you want because it doesn’t taste very good anymore and it’s harder to find food that you can keep down, causing you to feel listless and lifeless
- Feelings of confusion and lack of focus and concentration-doing your job gets tougher
- Feelings of anxiety and paranoia about when you can get your next ‘hit’, ‘smoke’, ‘fix’, ‘drink’
- Feeling stuck and imprisoned into a life of addiction because it takes up so much of your time, energy and money….it has robbed you of your life…you become a prisoner to your addiction
When you read all the many negative effects from smoking, vaping, drinking, and drugging you must wonder why do people find it so hard to quit? You would think that quitting should be quite easy when you look at all the alternatives, right?
The odd thing is that even though a person may consciously be aware of all the risks, all the negative feelings and all the expense involved with keeping up these habits; they continue with these habits because they appear to be hopelessly unable to quit. This is because of the power of a person’s subconscious mind and the automatic behaviors that were created and set into motion from the very moment a person first started to smoke, vape, drink, or drug.
Here’s an example; let’s imagine that we have gone back in time to the initial moment a person may have started to smoke. Maybe they got started when they were only 15 years old or so. It might have been at a school party or while were skipping out of school and being rebellious at the time. They desperately wanted to be included, and thought of as being someone ‘cool’, ‘on Fleet’, or popular with the ‘in crowd’. So, they were handed their first lit cigarette and told, ‘here it is, just try it, come on, you’re goanna like it’ so, they hesitantly take a drag of that cigarette.
And immediately the nicotine burned their throat so much that they probably wanted to throw up, pass out, cough and hack, or possibly all these reactions happened at once. But through persistence, and brute force they pushed past all their natural protective internal signals telling them that ‘this is poison’, ‘this is harmful’, ‘this will kill you’.
They initiated a program within their subconscious mind to take on this new habit. A new set of instructions have been put into motion and the new suggestion given to your subconscious mind is that whenever you want to be cool, to be liked, to be rebellious, this is what you now do, you smoke this cigarette. The cigarette now has a new identity to your subconscious, it now has a purpose for you in your life. It’s like your friend or helper you might say. But really, does a true friend want to poison you or make you sick?
And as the years go by this person continued smoking and has given this cigarette smoking habit many other reasons to be used. Now this smoking habit is something that is done upon awakening in the morning along with a coffee or tea, then it’s accompanying the person while driving in their car to and from work, then again it’s accompanying the person during breaks at work, then again after eating dinner, and then lastly before going to bed at night.
Can you see how many times the subconscious mind has been programmed with many positive reasons to continue this smoking habit? Because it has been programmed to believe that it is helping out with waking, it’s linked with the morning coffee/tea, it’s linked to relaxing on a break, it’s linked to helping with the commute to and from work, it’s linked to relaxing after work, and lastly linked to going to bed at night.
So even though a habitual smoker may consciously know all the many damaging things that cigarette smoking is doing to their body they still find it difficult to quit because subconsciously they have built the belief that this smoking habit has a purpose for them that it’s doing them some good. And because our subconscious mind always works very simply on the principals of pleasure and pain, and something we recognize is giving us pain needs to be changed to giving us pleasure, so the mind has been programmed to believe that maintaining their smoking habit is a good thing.
So how does a hypnotherapist help a person to change or reprogram their mind into believing once again that smoking (vaping, drinking, drugging) REALLY IS HARMFUL, and it’s NOT THEIR FRIEND and that it’s NOT HELPING THEM TO RELAX but instead it’s actually creating the anxiety that they’ve had in the first place?
- In order to reprogram the mind from doing something habitually like smoking, vaping, drinking and drugging, a hypnotherapist needs to change the associations of the habit from being thought of as being positive into something that’s personally negative to them and no longer needed or necessary.
- The next thing a hypnotherapist needs to do is embed positive suggestions into your mind that help a person change their belief about being a NON-smoker, being Smoke Free, being Alcohol Free, and being Drug Free that they have so many wonderful benefits and that nothing and nobody will ever be allowed to rob you of these wonderful benefits ever again.
Often a person who says they are trying to quit smoking, vaping, drinking, drugging, they talk almost nostalgically about their habit, like they’re having to ‘Give Up Something’, not realizing of course all the many, many, ‘wonderful benefits’ that they will be ‘Getting’ in return when they truly become a NON-smoker, Smoke Free, Alcohol Free, and Drug Free.
So, what will it be like when you are totally free, absolutely free from the habits that are robbing you from living a quality life? How will your days be BETTER THAN EVER when you are TOTALLY FREE of the HABIT?
- You smell good, your clothes look good and if you’re kissed you even taste good! The smell of your clothes, your hair and of your breath remains fresh and clean longer every day.
- Your sense of taste and smell improve dramatically. So that eating now becomes more enjoyable to you opening your pleasure sensors in your palate and adding more quality into your life. There is a swift return of the senses.
- Your skin now has a better tone, more blood circulation and oxygen are helping you to retain your healthy skin much longer as time goes by. There are less wrinkles and there are now more healthy cells working in your skin. You get brighter hair, whiter teeth, stronger nails, and clearer skin.
- You become more confident, more self-aware and you feel prouder of your achievements in life.
- You feel that you can easily be accepted socially almost anywhere thus helping you to feel stronger and more assertive in life. Your social standing in life improves as does your popularity.
- You get a rewarding feeling of love and respect for all those close to you like your spouse, children, grandchildren, family and friends. And because you are no longer harming others by breathing out secondhand smoke, your conscious becomes as clear as the air you are breathing. You are no longer plagued with feelings of guilt and shame.
- Your new/old relationships become better because you appear healthier, sexier, and generally more appealing. And your sex life improves too because there’s less chance of erectile dysfunction due to better blood flow in your penis. Women also find that they feel more appealing to their partner therefore they may even feel more open to being amorous in the bedroom.
- You become healthier and less likely to get a cold or flu as your immune system has improved. You also have lessened your chances of contracting several different cancers and diseases within ALL your bodies systems and organs thereby helping you to life a longer life with more comfort and quality of life and enjoyment. One year being smoke free, drug free, alcohol free adds at least 10 years or more onto your lifespan.
- You can exercise longer and more comfortably because your heart, lungs, bones, muscles, tendons are all working more efficiently. Your body can retain more hydration to all these areas, more oxygen and nutrients too. All these things help towards helping a person to enjoy getting more exercise easily and efficiently over time.
- You save more money, lots of money! All these addictions are very expensive to buy and the costs to you financially, mentally, and physically are tremendous. When you become Free of your habits you become a wealthier person in more ways than one.
- Mark on a calendar your stop smoking or stop vaping day
- Book your appointment on the same day that you have chosen to STOP either on website scheduler or by phone
- Because your brain is like a computer and it needs to be reprogrammed into believing that smoking or vaping doesn’t mean the same thing to you that it used to before.
- Bring a list to your first appointment of 4 TIMES that you SHOULD have Quit Smoking or Vaping, but you didn’t, and you FEEL BAD about those Choices. It is important that the emphasis be on those negative feelings.
- Also bring a list to your first appointment of at least 4 different foods or drink that you absolutely hate the taste, texture or smell of and you won’t eat them under any circumstance.
- Because you are so committed to stopping, on your Stop Day, you will throw out any remaining cigarettes and remove them from home, vehicle, work, and anywhere else you may have them stashed away because you have made a powerful decision to become FREE OF THE HABIT!
- Detoxification is needed first before you come to see your hypnotherapist for your first appointment. It is important that your physical body has gone through the difficult and challenging withdrawal process before you continue with your first hypnotherapy session. To find a detoxification center near you and make an appointment with a drug, alcohol, or medical doctor click here. Detoxing can take from 4 and even up to 14 days, depending on the drug taken or alcohol, the amount being taken, the frequencies the drug was used and whether it was mixed with other substances.
- After you have gone through a Detox program then mark on a calendar your stop drinking or stop drugging day
- Book your appointment on the same day that you have chosen to STOP either on website scheduler or by phone
- Because your brain is like a computer and it needs to be reprogrammed into believing that that drinking, or drugging doesn’t mean the same thing to you that it used to before. Bring a list to your first appointment of 4 TIMES that you SHOULD have Quit Drinking or Drugging, but you didn’t, and you FEEL BAD about those Choices. It is important that the emphasis be on those negative feelings towards drinking and drugging.
- Because you are so committed to stopping, on your Stop Day, you will throw out any remaining bottles, needles, bongs, devices, pipes, spoons, or other drug/alcohol paraphernalia and remove them from home, vehicle, work, and anywhere else you may have them stashed away because you have made a powerful decision to become FREE OF THE HABIT!
Of Your Habit
Of Your Habit
Of Your Habit
- Vera, Courtenay
- Brenda C, Nanaimo
- Janet L, Duncan